Search This Blog
Recent Posts on This Blog
- Links for use by those who might wish to purchase copies of my most recent books . . .
- My new bibliography is now on eBay, for domestic purchases — I expect to add international shipping late this week . . .
- I’m ALMOST ready to sell copies of my new “A Bibliography of Card-Game Booklets Written by Professor Hoffmann” . . .
- What does a collection of card-game booklets look like?
- The likely cover for “Victorian-Age Conjuring Books: A Guide for Collectors and Bibliographers” . . .
- A super-quick but highly interesting factoid . . .
- The three author-bibliographies of my “youth” . . . Trollope, Carroll, and Haggard . . .
- I have received the books from the printer, but it will be a while before any are distributed or offered for sale!!!
- A little more on “The Bijou Hoyle” . . .
- Warne’s “The Bijou Hoyle,” from Warne’s Bijou Library . . .
- A comparison of the queen of diamonds from two of Goodall’s Historic Playing Cards sets . . .
- A look at the back-designs of two similar packs of Goodall’s Historic Playing Cards . . .
- Re a little booklet I issued eons ago . . .
- Something you don’t see every day — twelve examples of Professor Hoffmann’s “Bridge” . . .
- Another Goodall four-pack Bézique box, not as beautiful as the one discussed in the preceding post . . .
- October 2017 (3)
- September 2017 (3)
- August 2017 (6)
- July 2017 (13)
- June 2017 (7)
- May 2017 (2)
- March 2017 (9)
- February 2017 (4)
- March 2016 (1)
- July 2015 (1)
- June 2015 (1)
- April 2015 (1)
- February 2015 (2)
- January 2015 (3)
- July 2014 (4)
- May 2014 (1)
- April 2014 (2)
- November 2013 (6)
- October 2013 (2)
- September 2013 (2)
- August 2013 (7)
- July 2013 (4)
- June 2013 (9)
- March 2013 (1)
- February 2013 (7)
- January 2013 (66)
- December 2012 (46)
- November 2012 (37)
- October 2012 (14)
- July 2012 (1)
- June 2012 (1)
- May 2012 (3)
- March 2012 (2)
- February 2012 (3)
- January 2012 (1)
- December 2011 (2)
- September 2011 (6)
- August 2011 (16)
- July 2011 (20)
- March 2011 (1)
- February 2011 (6)
- January 2011 (16)
- December 2010 (13)
Monthly Archives: December 2012
I hope I did not get anyone’s hopes up, but I now intend to defer until a later time the planned post on The Game of Napoleon, by Rawdon Crawley, published by Goodall in 1878. I’ll also probably defer the … Continue reading
Returning to “The Royal Game of Bezique,” by Camden — Part IX: Ever notice any ads for two versions of the booklet — with gilt edges and without?
Ever ponder this? It’s from the inside back-cover, and last page, of the sixth edition of The Royal Game of Bezique, by Camden. It was almost certainly published in 1869 or 1870. (The tenth edition was dated 1870 in Roman … Continue reading
The strange case of “The Game of Ace Major,” by Camden — and possible reasons why only one copy is known . . .
When one considers the vast number of different Goodall game sets and the gigantic quantities of Goodall card-game booklets printed, it becomes immediately apparent that such items were largely considered disposable by the purchaser, at least — as to sets … Continue reading
I suppose that it would be going too far to say that The Game of Ace Major, by Camden, 1874, is the “holy grail” of card-game booklets. However, it can be said that, among some of the best-informed collectors, only … Continue reading
I hope to wrap-up the year with three or four dynamite posts — including one on “The Game of Ace Major” (thanks to Mike Goodall) and one on “The Game of Napoleon” (thanks to Edward Copisarow) . . .
I’m not sure whether I will be able to do the following before the day ends, but I hope so. First, I hope to post information on The Game of Ace Major, by Camden. I don’t know of any copy, anywhere … Continue reading
Well, I have surpassed my total posts for November 2012 — my previous “monthly high” — and I still have about 10 hours left in December . . .
I have now posted forty posts in December 2012. This post makes forty-one. My previous high was thirty-seven, in November. And I still have about ten hours left in December! And during the last three days, all but maybe one … Continue reading
The first post on this blog was, I believe, December 22, 2010. So, the second anniversary came and went without me thinking about it. If I had thought about it at the time, I probably would have mentioned it. But … Continue reading