Search This Blog
Recent Posts on This Blog
- Links for use by those who might wish to purchase copies of my most recent books . . .
- My new bibliography is now on eBay, for domestic purchases — I expect to add international shipping late this week . . .
- I’m ALMOST ready to sell copies of my new “A Bibliography of Card-Game Booklets Written by Professor Hoffmann” . . .
- What does a collection of card-game booklets look like?
- The likely cover for “Victorian-Age Conjuring Books: A Guide for Collectors and Bibliographers” . . .
- A super-quick but highly interesting factoid . . .
- The three author-bibliographies of my “youth” . . . Trollope, Carroll, and Haggard . . .
- I have received the books from the printer, but it will be a while before any are distributed or offered for sale!!!
- A little more on “The Bijou Hoyle” . . .
- Warne’s “The Bijou Hoyle,” from Warne’s Bijou Library . . .
- A comparison of the queen of diamonds from two of Goodall’s Historic Playing Cards sets . . .
- A look at the back-designs of two similar packs of Goodall’s Historic Playing Cards . . .
- Re a little booklet I issued eons ago . . .
- Something you don’t see every day — twelve examples of Professor Hoffmann’s “Bridge” . . .
- Another Goodall four-pack Bézique box, not as beautiful as the one discussed in the preceding post . . .
- October 2017 (3)
- September 2017 (3)
- August 2017 (6)
- July 2017 (13)
- June 2017 (7)
- May 2017 (2)
- March 2017 (9)
- February 2017 (4)
- March 2016 (1)
- July 2015 (1)
- June 2015 (1)
- April 2015 (1)
- February 2015 (2)
- January 2015 (3)
- July 2014 (4)
- May 2014 (1)
- April 2014 (2)
- November 2013 (6)
- October 2013 (2)
- September 2013 (2)
- August 2013 (7)
- July 2013 (4)
- June 2013 (9)
- March 2013 (1)
- February 2013 (7)
- January 2013 (66)
- December 2012 (46)
- November 2012 (37)
- October 2012 (14)
- July 2012 (1)
- June 2012 (1)
- May 2012 (3)
- March 2012 (2)
- February 2012 (3)
- January 2012 (1)
- December 2011 (2)
- September 2011 (6)
- August 2011 (16)
- July 2011 (20)
- March 2011 (1)
- February 2011 (6)
- January 2011 (16)
- December 2010 (13)
Monthly Archives: June 2017
For quite a few years now (since apparently December 2010), this blog has been called “A blog about card-game rule-booklets published by Charles Goodall & Son during the period 1868 to 1922.” David Levy suggested to me (“way back when”) … Continue reading
Below are scans of the title pages of the booklets discussed in the preceding two posts. They are posted in the correct order of their appearance–which happens to be the C-A-B sequence arrived at very simply (but less conclusively) in … Continue reading
A quick analysis of the chronology of the “Selected Patience Games” booklets discussed in the preceding post . . .
Note: If you want to try to figure out the sequence on your own, you should look at the previous post before you look at this one. Here (in smaller form) are the same images as in the preceding post. … Continue reading
It is difficult to use logic to prove subtle points regarding Goodall’s card-game booklets, and that is one of the fascinations of collecting them . . .
I suppose that I could list quite a few things which “aren’t the way they should be” in connection with Goodall’s booklets. Of course, such problems add greatly to the pleasure and fascination of collecting the little gems from Goodall. … Continue reading
I am sure that all of us have made the mistake of having a verb agree with a non-subject noun, and not agree with the subject. This may happen where you have the subject noun, and then the non-subject noun, … Continue reading
Looking at Professor Hoffmann’s “Selected Patience Games” from early during the Goodall-De La Rue period . . .
This is a follow-up to the preceding post, which I just posted a little while ago. I prepared a lot of this post back in March, so please don’t get the idea that I could throw a post like this … Continue reading
A superficial treatment of the evolution of “Selected Patience Games,” by Professor Hoffmann in the post-1922 era . . .
This will be a quick and superficial discussion of the topic mentioned in the title. Selected Patience Games, by Professor Hoffmann, which included games from two of Hoffmann’s earlier Goodall booklets on patience games, underwent various changes at various times. … Continue reading