Search This Blog
Recent Posts on This Blog
- Links for use by those who might wish to purchase copies of my most recent books . . .
- My new bibliography is now on eBay, for domestic purchases — I expect to add international shipping late this week . . .
- I’m ALMOST ready to sell copies of my new “A Bibliography of Card-Game Booklets Written by Professor Hoffmann” . . .
- What does a collection of card-game booklets look like?
- The likely cover for “Victorian-Age Conjuring Books: A Guide for Collectors and Bibliographers” . . .
- A super-quick but highly interesting factoid . . .
- The three author-bibliographies of my “youth” . . . Trollope, Carroll, and Haggard . . .
- I have received the books from the printer, but it will be a while before any are distributed or offered for sale!!!
- A little more on “The Bijou Hoyle” . . .
- Warne’s “The Bijou Hoyle,” from Warne’s Bijou Library . . .
- A comparison of the queen of diamonds from two of Goodall’s Historic Playing Cards sets . . .
- A look at the back-designs of two similar packs of Goodall’s Historic Playing Cards . . .
- Re a little booklet I issued eons ago . . .
- Something you don’t see every day — twelve examples of Professor Hoffmann’s “Bridge” . . .
- Another Goodall four-pack Bézique box, not as beautiful as the one discussed in the preceding post . . .
- October 2017 (3)
- September 2017 (3)
- August 2017 (6)
- July 2017 (13)
- June 2017 (7)
- May 2017 (2)
- March 2017 (9)
- February 2017 (4)
- March 2016 (1)
- July 2015 (1)
- June 2015 (1)
- April 2015 (1)
- February 2015 (2)
- January 2015 (3)
- July 2014 (4)
- May 2014 (1)
- April 2014 (2)
- November 2013 (6)
- October 2013 (2)
- September 2013 (2)
- August 2013 (7)
- July 2013 (4)
- June 2013 (9)
- March 2013 (1)
- February 2013 (7)
- January 2013 (66)
- December 2012 (46)
- November 2012 (37)
- October 2012 (14)
- July 2012 (1)
- June 2012 (1)
- May 2012 (3)
- March 2012 (2)
- February 2012 (3)
- January 2012 (1)
- December 2011 (2)
- September 2011 (6)
- August 2011 (16)
- July 2011 (20)
- March 2011 (1)
- February 2011 (6)
- January 2011 (16)
- December 2010 (13)
Monthly Archives: March 2017
I suspect that Chas. Goodall & Son did not issue any patience sets until at least 1900, when the first edition of Professor Hoffmann’s Patience Games was published. (See illustration below.) However, I am not aware of any Goodall patience-set issued that … Continue reading
Revisiting my earliest Goodall booklet and set, namely a two-pack Bezique set from 1868 or thereabouts . . .
I discussed my earliest Goodall set (a two-pack Bezique set) in an earlier post, in 2010. The scans for that post were really quite poor. I have a different scanner now, which easily produces much better scans than the earlier … Continue reading
How did Frederic Jessel arrange his bibliography? It’s a question I have not really thought much about in the past, and I suppose it is not a question of prime importance, since the book does have a certain flow to it … Continue reading
What is the best way to organize a bibliography of card-game booklets? This is just a rhetorical question, and I don’t want to impose on anyone by asking for any real answers, but I’ll set forth a few of my … Continue reading
Below is a scan showing the three formats of The Royal Game of Bezique as published by Charles Goodall & Son. The largest is a rather interesting early printing. This is apparently a two-toned variation of the large-format version listed in … Continue reading
On page 50 of Mike Goodall’s year-2000 book Charles Goodall & Son: The Family and the Firm 1820-1922 is a little image of Goodall’s “Marlborough” cabinet (from a catalog or advertisement). It is designated as “The ‘Marlborough’ and ‘Blenheim,’” which … Continue reading
After working on some of those recent posts, I got to thinking about the Chas. Goodall & Son designs for the Ace of Spaces, which (at least the main one discussed here) was also used in other contexts. You can see images … Continue reading