Search This Blog
Recent Posts on This Blog
- The likely cover for “Victorian-Age Conjuring Books: A Guide for Collectors and Bibliographers” . . .
- A super-quick but highly interesting factoid . . .
- The three author-bibliographies of my “youth” . . . Trollope, Carroll, and Haggard . . .
- I have received the books from the printer, but it will be a while before any are distributed or offered for sale!!!
- A little more on “The Bijou Hoyle” . . .
- Warne’s “The Bijou Hoyle,” from Warne’s Bijou Library . . .
- A comparison of the queen of diamonds from two of Goodall’s Historic Playing Cards sets . . .
- A look at the back-designs of two similar packs of Goodall’s Historic Playing Cards . . .
- Re a little booklet I issued eons ago . . .
- Something you don’t see every day — twelve examples of Professor Hoffmann’s “Bridge” . . .
- Another Goodall four-pack Bézique box, not as beautiful as the one discussed in the preceding post . . .
- A beautiful, early Goodall Bézique box . . .
- Another possible cover-design . . .
- The current title-page and frontispiece of my forthcoming bibliography of Professor Hoffmann’s “Goodall” booklets . . .
- Comments on “Bridge Hints” . . .
- September 2017 (2)
- August 2017 (6)
- July 2017 (13)
- June 2017 (7)
- May 2017 (2)
- March 2017 (9)
- February 2017 (4)
- March 2016 (1)
- July 2015 (1)
- June 2015 (1)
- April 2015 (1)
- February 2015 (2)
- January 2015 (3)
- July 2014 (4)
- May 2014 (1)
- April 2014 (2)
- November 2013 (6)
- October 2013 (2)
- September 2013 (2)
- August 2013 (7)
- July 2013 (4)
- June 2013 (9)
- March 2013 (1)
- February 2013 (7)
- January 2013 (66)
- December 2012 (46)
- November 2012 (37)
- October 2012 (14)
- July 2012 (1)
- June 2012 (1)
- May 2012 (3)
- March 2012 (2)
- February 2012 (3)
- January 2012 (1)
- December 2011 (2)
- September 2011 (6)
- August 2011 (16)
- July 2011 (20)
- March 2011 (1)
- February 2011 (6)
- January 2011 (16)
- December 2010 (13)
Author Archives: Thomas A. Sawyer
The likely cover for “Victorian-Age Conjuring Books: A Guide for Collectors and Bibliographers” . . .
The following is what I will very likely use (or something very close to it): That is based on the cover found on a reprint of Drawing-Room Conjuring, which was a translation (from the French) by Professor Hoffmann. The book … Continue reading
I see on David Levy’s “Edmond Hoyle, Gent.,” blog that the George Clulow collection of books relating to playing cards has been acquired by Vanderbilt University. This includes (according to a Vanderbilt website) ancillary materials, including, if I understand correctly, … Continue reading
These recollections reach way back to the 1968-1970 period, at earliest, and to probably the mid-1970s at latest, so they may be somewhat “accuracy challenged.” I want to talk about what may be the first author-bibliographies I handled. For a … Continue reading
I have received the books from the printer, but it will be a while before any are distributed or offered for sale!!!
Today I took possession of 53 copies of A Bibliography of Card-Game Booklets Written by Professor Hoffmann. They are in two boxes which arrived earlier today, and which I have not opened yet. There is a certain amount of customization … Continue reading
Here are a couple more relevant images. The Bijou Hoyle consisted basically of the texts of the Warne’s Bijou Books on the topics of (a) Whist; (b) Cribbage and dominoes; and (c) chess. (The capitalization may look strange in that … Continue reading
A recent little bit of email communication with David Levy had to do (in part) with Frederick Warne and Co., and that caused me to glance at a few of my Warne publications. I’ve written about this book on this … Continue reading
Update on my bibliography of Professor Hoffmann’s card-game booklets: Today I submitted the book to the printer. (I am not ready to predict when I will have copies for sale.) I already discussed the variations in the back-designs of two … Continue reading